Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Two Funny Stories

This morning was my doctor's visit. Nothing special. I am on the every two weeks visit now (but I did get the regular flu shot today).

All women who have been pregnant know that every time you go to the OB/GYN, no matter what, they want you to pee in a cup. Those people are fascinated by pee. Today I didn't think I could give them a "sample" (as they call it) and asked if I could wait until the end thinking maybe it would have time to build. Usually, Nurse Karen who thinks Ruth belongs to her holds Ruth for me so I can go in peace. But since I was giving them the "sample" at the end, Karen was involved with another patient. Ruth had to come in with me. No big deal. Ruth just has never seen me pee in a cup (well, not since she was in a car seat in the bathroom). After crying because I wouldn't let her color (I had to write my name on the cup after all), she observed the steps in peeing in a cup. We deposited the "sample" and left.

When we got home I promptly put her to nap eventhough it was only 9am. She went down without a fight (remember, we had a late night last night and she rose at the same early time this morning). When she got up from her nap, I had to go to the bathroom. Ruth took her normal position on her potty (with her clothes on) and then got up, got the cup we use for her bath off the bathtub, put it in the potty and then sat on it. I guess she figured this was the new way to use the bathroom.


Soon after we were having lunch. We usually make her stay in the high chair until we are finished eating. Ruth finished earlier than me, of course, and I was really too tired to fight her so I took off her tray and started to get her out so I could finish my lunch in peace. But Ruth reall just wanted to play with the straps that lock her in the chair. She was able to lock one side but not the other. She lifted her arms and said "dang" and then sighed and said, "pa-strated". This means, of course, frustrated. I have started saying that I am frustrated rather than mad because that is usually the case. I thought it was funny that Ruth said it for the first time in context and so calmly and matter-of-fact.

On the 54th day from now, Grayson will be here!

3 comments:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

I think it's hilarious that Ruth says "dang." I'll bet she sounds just like you! ;-)

I wouldn't say that I'm a Hog "fan," but I'm happy for them when they win. Especially, when it's against Texas A&M.

Tonia said...

That's awesome. She sounds like a mini me version of you.

I taught some 5 year olds the other day. Every time I showed them a step we were going to do this little girl put her face in her hands and said, "Oh, my god. I can't do that." It was hilarious.

The Cram-Smith Family said...

Hilarious! I love when they start to mimic you and act like it's no big deal. So sweet.