Thursday, October 30, 2008

Now I Know How My Mother Felt

My poor mother had five children. That means five children to worry about and five children to be up with at night when they are sick. Hence, this post.

This is the second night in a row that little Ruth has not slept well. She has a stuffy nose and can not suck on the pacifer and breathe at the same time. So instead, she cries. Tuesday night she was up many times and I tried her in bed with us but that only ran Brian out of the bed. Tonight, I went to the nursery and got in the guest bed with her. No luck. The good news is that she sleeps better by herself now, but the bad news is that she is just not sleeping. I have given up myself tonight and just hope to get a nap in today. I wasn't able to nap yesterday and on Monday when I tried to sleep with Ruth, she only proceeded to try to crawl so much that I gave up then too. Alas, sweet sorrow.

But since I am up and there is no going back to sleep for this weary traveler, let me tell you more about our trip to South Carolina. As I said, I had a residency at Coker College. Brian became the primary caregiver to Ruth and I became the worker out of the "home". We had a total role reversal in terms of emotions, interactions with the baby and with each other. It really helped me to understand what Brian goes through when he "gets to go to work" and for him to understand what I go through on a daily basis with Ruth and having to have all the answers for him. It was definitely an eye opener for each of us.

I don't hear any more sounds coming from the crib so I guess she has finally gone back to sleep. I don't think I will be able to so it is time to check your blogs. If you have a blog that you haven't told me about, please send the address this way.

1 comment:

Kara and Travis said...

Those nights are rough. You want to help and can't do much. We end up rocking Eston to sleep sitting up and then I fall asleep sitting up also. Helps his stuffy nose. And it's so rough going to work the next day! It stinks that you just can't give them some Niquil.