Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To

Here is Ruth "blowing out the candle on her cake" at her birthday party.
Ruth and her smash cake.




I started this post this afternoon around 4:30pm and here it is 11pm, and I am finally finishing it. Brian has instituted movie night every other Tuesday so after Ruth goes to bed we buy a movie on Comcast On Demand. Tonight we watched Ghost Town, a funny movie that actually is more sad than happy, I think. So if this post is a little sappy, that is why.

We had homemade cake on Friday, just Brian, Ruth and I and she really seemed to like it. However, as this video shows, her store bought cake wasn't such a big hit. Actually, I think it was the crowd and the mess on her hand (I am so proud) that caused more trouble for her. We put her on the floor to let her smash her smash cake. Ruth gingerly touched the cake (not shown in the video) and left a beautiful little hand print on her cake as if she were creating a tile for the Hollywood sidewalk. Then, she proceed to cry. She did not like the cake on her hand. Usually she would put anything and everything in her mouth, but not this time. You can see that even after I wipe it off she is still upset and looks at the hand.

So many of you have asked about Ruth and if I can believe she is one. The answer is no. She changes daily in front of my eyes. I find myself becoming quite emotional at times when I realize that this stage will pass and it won't be long before I forget her baby/toddler antics and sounds. I so wish each of you could experience the Ruth more often. She is really becoming such a fun kid to play with, not just around. The games that she plays with us, often beginning the games herself, seem very mature to us. She loves to offer us something (today it was a coupon while in the shopping cart and a birthday card later while sitting in her new chair) and then as we reach for it, take it away very quickly. She also loves to tilt her head back so we can "get her neck" and then giggle as we get close. She is bouncing as Elmo sings his song. She has long enjoyed Cademon's Call (a band) but has recently started to enjoy the jams of the Dave Matthews Band. I didn't want a dancer, but I have a child that loves music and loves to move. Maybe I can get her to play the piano although the drums seem more likely at this point.

I guess I should go to bed. I am having my hair colored for the first time tomorrow and I can't be late.

1 comment:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

Thanks for sharing the videos. It really looked like she was bent on not getting dirty. Not her hand, not her lovely dress, not anything! That's Aaron's kind of girl. I don't know what he's going to do when its time for our kids to smash cake! I hope you all had a great party. Congratulations to you, mom, for surviving and thriving in the first year!!!