Monday, March 16, 2009

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Oh my stars!!! My students would know what this means. It means I am unhappy with something. And today it is still the picking eating and the addition of not sleeping.

Ruth used to (and I stress the used to) sleep through the night. Then she started going through a phase where she would wake up and one of us would have to put the paci in her mouth again and she would go back to sleep. Then she added waking up earlier. Last night she woke up at midnight and refused to go back to sleep.

We break all the rules of so called parenting books. We fed her at 12:45am, and I slept with her the rest of the night. Using the word slept is actually exaggerating. More like I shared a bed with her while she tossed and turned and cried out throughout the night.

As far as eating, she has again accepted fruits and cheese. Saturday she did okay on chicken. I don't think she has had a vegetable in days and will not drink milk out of the sippy cup. This is no big surprise. The sippy cup is always on the tray and she always throws it off the tray. She will drink water out of the cup throughout the day if it is around her. But I can't have her drinking milk all day because it will go bad and then won't I be messing up her eating cycle?

Brian and I are at a loss. Partly because we are so tired. This is when it would be so nice to have grandparents live close by so we could send Ruth for the night. But alas, we don't.

On a happier note, Ruth did take two steps on Thursday by herself and four on Friday. She also has become more adventurous in trying to walk although we have only seen two steps together since Friday. At least we can say we got to see her first steps. (We told all child care givers not to tell us if they saw her walking!!)

Well, I hear Ruth fussing as Brian tries to get her to eat. You would think that if she wakes up at 6:15am she is hungry. Not the case. She just wants to be around other people and pull at their face, hair, clothes, whatever she can get in her little hands.

Here are some pictures from the birthday party. I will attach more later.

1 comment:

The Cram-Smith Family said...

What a beautiful birthday cake! Did you make that?!?! I love her pink chair... Jocelyn got the same one for her 1st birthday and nearly a year later, we think it was one of our most "used" purchases!

As for Ruth not sleeping...if she has been sick recently, she could be having joint pain. (I pass this knowledge on to all mothers, because I had NEVER heard of such a thing until Jocelyn struggled with it this fall.) After being sick, when the "toxins" are leaving your baby's body, they sometimes settle in the joints. (Toxic joints, Matt calls them.) Jocelyn would wake up repeatedly at night. I just thought she was teething, but Matt noticed she had also started to "limp" after bathtime. (long period of sitting.) Took her to the doc, and that is what we learned. It's happened a few times since...but motrin before bed does the trick. :-)