Monday, June 15, 2009

The Beach Part 4

Back to the narrative......

After visiting The Battery, Brian, Ruth, Matt, Jocelyn and I went to lunch. We ate at a little Mexican restaurant close to their house which was very good and very inexpensive. Ruth was tired and hot and showed her behind big time. She also made a huge mess. Then it was back to the house where Ruth and I took a delicious, two hour nap.

When Susan got home, we all drove to Folly Beach where her grandmother has a beach house. This house was newly constructed on the lot where their old house stood. The house was so beautiful. Her grandmother was adopted and raised by alchoholic parents, married an alchoholic and then divorced him and raised her two kids on her own while working her way up in Thorton Oil from a secretary to her current position, executive vice-president. So for those who say that America does not provide opportunities and reason that government hand-outs are the only way they can make it probably haven't tried getting a job (or at least haven't turned over all rocks).

But again, I digress.

This is when we took Ruth down on the beach for her first exposure to the sand and surf. The lighting would have been perfect for pictures, but we did video instead. We walked down the beach about a half a mile to eat at a newly renovated Holiday Inn. The food was great, the atmosphere was great and the girls were well behaved, probably tired from walking most of the way. We sent the boys and the girls back with a head start while Susan and I stayed behind to pay the bill. We caught up with them on the beach and played just a little longer before heading home for the night.

On Saturday, Matt had to work. He is a golf pro at a resort. Susan, Jocelyn, Brian, Ruth and I made the trip to Folly Island where Susan's twin sister Katherine and her husband Justin met us for a day playing on the beach. We were able to put the girls down for a nap in the beach house after lunch. When they woke up, we played a little longer and then headed for home.

Susan's parents kept two very tired girls for us Saturday night so the six of us (Susan/Matt, Katherine/Justin and Brian and me) could get dressed up and go to downtown Charleston for dinner. It was a nice evening out with friends.

On Sunday we drove home. It was a great weekend with friends. Brian and I feel so lucky to have the Cardwell sisters and their families in our lives. And I think Ruth has made a lifelong friend.

5 comments:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

DARLING pictures!!!! I love them. So glad you got to have a nice little getaway!!!

Tonia said...

I'm sorry you've been sick, but it seems like you had a good time. It's nice to get away from your every day life now and then. Come to think of it, I need to do that to! I'm actually going to Charleston for a wedding in october. I'm excited, I've never been there before. I have an old dance friend that lives there now so I'm hoping to meet up with her.

Ruth just gets cuter and cuter by the day.

Amanda Coleman said...

Thank you for giving me something to do while at work everyday. Ruth looks so cute in all her pictures and what not. I hope to see you and her very soon. Enjoy your summer! :)

Alec & Emma Davis said...

Sorry I missed you on FB! We are actually going to a dude ranch. It's called Dixie Dude Ranch, and we go every summer with Aaron's family. It's in the TX Hill Country outside of San Antonio. At the ranch you can horseback ride, swim and watch the different entertainment each night (trickroper, storyteller, etc) or you can go into town to float the river, antique/shop, or go to a saloon. Aaron has been going for over 20 years.

cschnuelle said...

What a beautiful weekend. How can we get transferred to Charleston? I love Charleston.