Thursday, June 18, 2009

Happy Father's Day!!

I seldom feel compelled to post to Ruth's blog but when I am I should take it seriously enough to actually do it (not like taking out the trash or mowing the lawn).

I remember, quite vividly, saying that I would never get married. I was still in school and couldn't imagine not having the freedom that I had then.
Excuse me while I go to the mirror to laugh in my own face.

I can also remember making the transition to wanting to be married....but never having kids. Who would want that? Kids were loud, annoying, hungry beasts that relied on their parents for every little thing. Why would I want to be the source of life for someone who takes everything from you but your soul? That's crazy talk! I only need to wipe one bottom in my house.

When I got out of school and into a profession I began to think that maybe having kids wouldn't be so bad. It seemed like the natural progression of life. The first social promotion from being single to married naturally leads us to the second promotion of having kids. Who doesn't like to get promoted? Only in this case your income goes DOWN with each subsequent promotion.

Now I find myself with Natalie and Ruth. Two of the greatest blessings God has ever given me. And He has given me some good ones.

I have had the pleasure of working some form of official job since I was 16 (thanks Mom and Dad - seriously). Nearly 20 years in the workforce and I can say without hesitation that having children is harder than any job I have ever had (except maybe turning socks - ask me about it when you have some time). To be fair, it pays way better. As Ruth grows and discovers new things each day I am amazed. It pains me to think that I may forget these moments one day as we reminisce about her childhood or that I may miss them all together. These days, this time, are more precious than any metal or jewel and I can't collect them fast enough. This blog is our way of sharing that joy with you and saving it for ourselves.
Each day begins the same. We choose how it ends. I encourage you to live each day with a purpose and never lose sight of the precious things in your life.

As Father's Day approaches I should be working it in my favor. I get one day a year that I can be lazy without being irresponsible. That I can eat whatever I want without being a glutton. It is my New Years, Thanksgiving, and Fat Tuesday all rolled into one. Instead, I look at my wife and my daughter....and I am just lucky to have made it to the celebration.

Have a great Father's Day!! Celebrate it just like Americans celebrate all holidays...eat, drink, and maybe set off some fireworks. No matter what, celebrate with those who make it possible....your kids.
-BB

1 comment:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

Happy Father's Day to a really great Daddy and husband. Truly you are all blessed to have eachother!