Thursday, August 7, 2008

He Keeps Me Singing As I Go

Those of you that go to "real church" (now, hold on, I pick at people who go to services that only sing praise songs and not hymns, I don't really mean that there is a separate heaven: one for people who sing hymns and one watered down for those of you that sing praise songs. This is just a joke I developed with a former student of mine who sings praise songs and is probably going to devote her life to the ministry. If she can laugh, so can you) may not recognize the title of this blog as being from a hymn. But it serves as the perfect title for my entry today.

For the third morning in a row I have awakened singing a hymn. This first and second day I woke up singing the choruses to songs. Today, the third day, I was making Ruth's bottle before I realized that I was singing in my head. Since I only remember the words to the choruses, I have to get out my Baptist hymnal and sing the whole song. I know this is God talking to me through my favorite part of church, the singing. I want to share His message to me with you and hopefully it will speak to you in whatever circumstance you are in need.

Since most of you who read this do not sing hymns anymore (boy, real heaven is going ot be lonely) I have typed the words to the three songs for you. If you know them, I hope they make you sing them all day too.

Day One: Blessed Assurance, Jesus Is Mine
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! Oh what a fore taste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God, born of His Spirit, wash'd in His blood
Chorus: This is my story, this is my song. Praising my Saviour all the day long. This is my story, this is my song. Praising mySaviour all the day long.
Perfect submission, perfect delight, Visions of rapture now burst on my sight. Angels descending bring from above, echoes of mercy, whispers of love (chorus)
Perfect Submission, all is at rest, I in my Saviour am happy and blest. Watching and witing, looking above, fill'd with His goodness, lost in His love. (chorus)

Day Two: Heavenly Sunlight
Walking in sunlight, all of my journey, over the mountains, thro' the deep vale. Jesus has said "I'll never forsake thee" promise divine that never can fail.
Chorus: Heavenly sunlight, heavenly sunlight, flooding my soul with glory divine. Hallelujah, I am rejoicing, singing His praises, jesus is mine.
Shadows around me, shadows above me, never conceal my Saviour and guide. he is the light in Him is no darkness, ever I'm walking close to His side. (chorus)
In the bright sunlight ever rejoicing, pressing y way to mansions above. Singing His praises gladly I'm walking, walking in sunlight, sulight of love. (chorus)

Third Day: Let Others See Jesus in You
While passing thro' this world of sin, and others your life shall view, be clean and pure without, within, let others see Jesus in You
Chorus: Let others see Jesus in you (in you) Let other see Jesus in you (in you) Keep telling the story be faithful and true. Let others see Jesus in you.
Your life's a book before their eyes, they're reading it thro' and thro'; say, does it point them to the skies, do other see Jesus in you?
(Chorus)
What joy 'twill be at set of sun, in mansions beyond the blue, to find some souls that you have won, let others see Jesus in you
(chorus)
Then live for Christ both day and night, be faithful, be brave and true, and lead the lost to life and light, let other see Jesus in you.
(chorus)


Some of you may know that when Ruth was little and screaming, that I would rock her and sing her hymns to get her to stop and sleep and to keep me somewhat sane. I will tell you that the above songs were not the ones I would sing to her.

Today we bid a sad farewell to our dear friend Connie who has been such a great help and blessing in our life, even more so since Ruth was born. She is moving with her husband to La Grange, Georgia and will be working in the Auburn, AL school district.

The next post will be shorter...unless He keeps me singing as I go....

2 comments:

Katherine Brown said...

I want you to know how much I am praying for you all. I am awed by your faith. (by the way...I love "Blessed Assurance!")Justin and I both read your blog regularly. Give my love to Ruth!!

The Cram-Smith Family said...

I like "Blessed Assurance" too! One of my favorites. Since Jocelyn was born, whenenever I rock her at night, I always sing the same song.

"Take my life, Lord, and mold me.
Holy Spirit, Console me.
Take my life Lord, and hold me to your chest.
Sing to me, a melody of love.
Sing to me, a melody of love.

Quiet me with your Holy love.
Rejoice over me with singing.
Quiet me with your Holy love.
Rejoice over me with singing."

That, and "Good Night Moon" are the last things she hears as she drifts to sleep.