Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Smarter Than Us with 1/4 the Vision

Ruth had her functional assessment yesterday at the Center for the Visually Impaired in Atlanta. This was Ruth's first trip to Atlanta proper. I always forget what a neat city Atlanta would be if it weren't for the horrific traffic. But, going in the middle of the day and getting out before rush hour begins at 4pm isn't so bad.

Even though I have medical proof that Ruth is a person of low vision, every time I hear someone new say it I feel like I have been punched in the stomach. The lady at the center said that there was no doubt that Ruth was a person of low vision and this was just watching her play and be held by us. I felt so stupid that I could not and still sometimes do not see (pun intended) that aspect of my daughter. But of course, I don't know what a "normal" five and a half baby should be doing. I do know that every doctor, health professional and care giver uses words like bright, clever, stubborn, alert, or smart to describe her. Yesterday was no exception. Brian is excited that Ruth will be smarter than us and challenge us at a young age. I was hoping at least to get past third grade homework before she outsmarted me. But since the child has learned how to avoid naps at all costs, she may have already outwitted me.

The lady at the center did tell us that Ruth has reached all the developmental milestones for a five and a half month old and in some has exceed them. When you consider that children of low vision usually achieve these milestones slower, the fact that Ruth has either reached or exceeded them is great news. The only one she had not was seeing the baby in the mirror. This is in part because the mirror I gave her to play with at home was too small so she focused on it an an object and the big mirrors in the house or the studio reflect everything. But yesterday, as Anne (the lady) held a large mirror in front of Ruth and told us that Ruth was seeing the light not the image an amazing thing happened, Ruth saw herself. The complete joy filling Ruth's face as she smiled, giggled and slapped the baby in the mirror was enough make my eyes overflow with tears and to make the ladies at the center think I need a support group. I don't know if I am holding on to the hope that maybe her vision is better than I have been told to expect or if just seeing my daughter be "normal" and enjoy it so much is the reason I cried. But I don't care. And I don't care if I do need a support group. Ruth saw herself in the mirror and loved it.

I took Ruth to the studio last night so I could take a ballet class of which I made it through without falling. Brian had visited a store after our trip to the center and met me at the studio to pick up Ruth. I took Ruth to the door of each room and she loved hearing the different music and I assume seeing the vast array of colors moving in each. She was kicking her legs and moving her arms and showing her teeth as she smiled. So all in all, yesterday was a good day for us.

Thank you again for posting, e-mailing and calling. Brian and I have literally been living off the support we have been given by you.

4 comments:

The Cram-Smith Family said...

Maybe all mothers/fathers/parents need support groups. I know we have all teared up at the seemingly "little" accomplishments. I'm glad to hear it was a good day.

Munnsjohnson said...

I love you so much. Don't ever give up hope and don't ever forget that God created Ruth perfectly and intentionally created her for a purpose! She is an angel of blessing!

Love to you all,
Munns

The Berry Family said...

We are blessed to have Ruth and I am blessed to have you both. She is going to do amazing things.

Kara and Travis said...

Love your posts! Cracks me up and always brings a smile.~Kara