Monday, September 1, 2008

And So It Begins

Welcome, College Gameday!! As we all know there is no better time of the year than college football time. Nothing is better than seeing (or hearing) your team take the field for the first time of the season. The past is history and now everyone is a national champion. So I got up Saturday morning and dressed Ruth in her VT onesy which I wasn't sure was going to fit because she has really packed on the pound (note: singular) this last month. We posted on the couch for the noon kickoff of my beloved Hokies against Easy Carolina University. I swore I was going to tone it down today since I had Ruthie on my lap this time. Her fragile ears shouldn't hear my game day trash talking and I couldn't justify 'ear-muffing' her for the entire game. Fortunately, she didn't have too much to worry about and we really enjoyed the game. That is until ECU blocked a punt with 1:52 left to beat the Hokies by 5 points. This picture is Ruth's reaction to hearing Daddy say "Awww S**T!" Kidding, I didn't really say that. I wasn't too upset because it is a rebuilding year for VT and Ruth is too young to remember this year...so next year she will be able to root for a winner. On the up side, I won't ever accidentally spike my child when my team scores an offensive touchdown. By the time they actually do she will be too heavy for me to pick up.

Oh, and Arkansas beat some no-name team by a close margin to welcome in the Petrino era. Go Hogs!

Next Saturday go outside and take in a deep breathe. That, my friends, is optimism in the air, the end of summer, the beginning of fall, and college football. When anyone ask what day it is...you tell 'em "It's Game Day!!" And when the teacher asks where Ruth heard that; it was from me.

5 comments:

The Berry Family said...

Mommy and I were asleep when the Hokies lost to no name ECU. Today when we go to Chick-fil-A to get our free chicken tenders (if you wear a college t-shirt) we will be wearing the t-shirt of a winner: #5 McFadden.

cschnuelle said...

And let's not forget the mind-numbing Auburn-LA Monroe game. Louisiana-Monroe?
I think the game of the day had to be the Alabama-Clemson game. I must say "Roll Tide", shhh, David is not in the room.

Kara and Travis said...

Where's the Razorback onsie!?

The Cram-Smith Family said...

Jocelyn went to watch her Uncle Mike play in the Citadel game last weekend. She was good for the entire game. Wore her cheerleading outfit, waved her pompom in the air, and ate lots of chips! After the game, she went down on the field and gave Uncle Mike a high five. Very exciting stuff. She'd already been to two pre-season scrimmages, so she's already a true fan! Note to Brian- Jocelyn can't say "game day" yet, but she does know the "touch down" sign. Try teaching that one first. :-)

The Montanaro's said...

We're trying to teach Quin Hotty Toddy! He screams/squeals every time we chant! And Brian, it has a few words in it that I would like toned down but I'm not sure if that's going to happen if Pasquale has anything to do with it.
"Who the he^^ are we, hey, flim flam bim bam, Ole Miss by da&%" should say "who the heck are we, hey, flim flam bim bam, Ole Miss yes mam!" for all those under 16!