Friday, August 28, 2009

Ballet is not for the lighthearted

As I write this, my sweet child is napping away. She had a great morning with Mrs. Leigh Ann and is now probably dreaming about the entire can of chicken noodle soup that she ate. Yes, an entire can.

I had my Friday morning Dance Pedagogy (teaching students how to be teachers) class at KSU and decided to stay and take the company ballet class. Let me just say that it kicked my fat, out of shape, pregnant butt. But this class would have been hard even in my best days of dance. The class was fast paced and the barre was a killer (we repeated everything and then did the other side and then got to stop). But I did the hour long barre and two exercises in center. When we started plies (the first exercises, bending the knees), I wanted to cry because it felt good to be around dancers and chat and hear the beautiful music. But by fondu (slow, melting of the legs and extending them and then repeating it on tip toe), I wanted to cry because my fat, out of shape, pregnant body couldn't control the melting quality and my legs refused to go about 65 degrees and I had to stop and rest because I was so tired. And let's not even talk about how the pelvis wasn't under my center. The sweet college kids told me that I looked great. Of course, many of these same kids are students of mine so you can't take too many compliments too seriously. At least I moved a little.

And now my legs, back (lower and upper) and butt are exhausted and beginning to rebel in pain. I wonder if I will be able to walk tomorrow?

It doesn't help that Ruth is still waking up in the night. We have given up on the one nap a day. When she only gets one nap (like yesterday) she wakes up often in the night. Brian and I were up with her between 2:30 and 3:30 am and we didn't go back to sleep ourselves until after 5am and then up again at 6am to start the day. I guess Ruth is just keeping us in shape for the new baby.

2 comments:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

Oh, I applaud your efforts! I remember how much it hurt to take and even teach when I was so heavy with the twins. Even a little extra weight and the pressure that it puts on all of your joints makes it so tough and painful. If I were you, I'd be getting in the tub...stat! Sorry that Ruth is giving you a hard time at night. But you're right...she is keeping you in shape for Grayson. Hope you get some rest!

Anonymous said...

I am sure you were awesome as always !