Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Friday in Savannah

I will see how much I get to write before Ruth wakes up from her morning nap. I just sweep the kitchen and need to rest.

On Friday, Brian went to the career fair to interview pharmacy students. Ruth and I took the shuttle to a little mom and pop restaurant for breakfast. We decided to walk the 7 or so blocks back to the hotel. We stopped at Forysth Park and took pictures of the fountain. Ruth does not like to pose for pictures but did enjoy saying hi to the many, many dogs we saw. Apparently, everyone who lives in Savannah feels it is important to have a dog and to walk it before the heat gets too thick.

After our photo shoot, Ruth took a nap. When she woke up we had just enough time to play in the pool before checking out of the hotel at noon. We walked a few blocks to a tea room for lunch. You would think a tea room open for lunch in Savannah would have sweet tea. No, they didn't. They had unsweet tea and would bring you this syrup to sweetened it yourself at the table. We all know that if you sweeten tea after it has cooled it never tastes the same. Also, if I am in Savannah I expect some of the best sweet tea that I don't have to make myself. The food was nothing special either.

I pushed Ruth in the stroller through "antique" shops in the historic district. Most of the shops were not true antiques. It was very, very hot and I finally told Ruth that we would go back and wait for Daddy in the hotel lobby. We had an hour to wait but thankfully at that very moment he contacted me to let me know he was on the way back to the hotel. Yeah!

We left Savannah and went to Tybee Island, Ruth slept on the way and Brian and I pulled over for a snack. We checked into our room, ordered pizza and took a walk on the beach. We were really staying on the river side of the island and not the ocean. This was fine. The water was dirty but the small waves were great to swim in on Saturday morning. I was able to lay down in the water holding myself up by my arms and feel weightless without being hit by waves.

But that is Saturday's story that I will relay later.

1 comment:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

Sounds like you guys had a nice little getaway. Hope everything goes well with the new job. One of the places that I teach is called the Institute of Music, Worship and the Arts. I teach private lessons, ballet and worship dance, depending on what people want any given semester...obviously with a Christian focus. It's great to do that, but I do miss the true structure of a "real" studio. I get that on Mondays in my modern class though. :-)