Friday, July 3, 2009

Baby Names

I think I have finally decided that I could be a mother to a boy - although it will be difficult. But since once we find out what we are having the other baby name we have picked will be forgotten, I thought I would share the names with you. This baby will probably be our last since we are both 34 years old.

We named Ruth after two grandmothers and wanted to name this next baby after family as well. Ruth was named after Ruthel (who we called Jenny). Jenny was not a blood relative but was my sisters and my babysitter and became a member of the family. We spent holidays with them and shared lives with each other. I think I speak for all my sisters when I say that Jenny was the best cook ever and we miss her dearly. Ruth's middle name is Helen and that was Brian's grandmother. Neither Brian nor I got to meet each other's grandmother, but he has described her as the most caring and kind woman.

For a girl: Priscilla Grace. Since Ruth is a family name and a biblical name and I have a biblical name in the family, if the next child is a girl, she will be named Priscilla. (We will NOT call her Prissy for short so don't even go there.) Priscilla was my maternal grandmother. We used to drive to Kansas to visit her when I was little. When she moved close by she was much older and had a stroke. I remember her skin being very soft. But the quality like best about her is that she said what she thought and was a very independent person. She was a single mother during the 50's and travelled all over the country. Grace is after Brian and his grandfather. Brian's middle name is Grayson but his paternal grandfather was named Gracen. By naming this girl Grace we honor both Brian's grandfather and Brian. Everyone who knows Brian knows that he is pretty much awesome. Again, Brian and I did not met each other's grandparent. I will have Brian write about his grandfather to give him credit.

For a boy: Grayson Jeffery. Grayson, of course, after Brian. Since there aren't many male names in my family we turned once again to a member of my extended "wish they had been" family. Jeffery, of Jeff, was my best friend from Kindergarten through high school. Although we went to different colleges and thus made new friends who did not know the other, we remained close until his untimely death in February 2006, only a few months before Brian and I were married. Brian did not get to meet Jeff. Jeff was a true friend who supported me and was probably the first person my age to be honest about marriage and tell me it was hard. I remember so stupidly telling him it didn't have to be. How many times I wish I could tell him he was right and let him laugh at me!!!

So there are the names. When you have taught children it can be hard to find names. I have never taught a Ruth (or Ruthie) or Grayson and only one Priscilla so these names are safe.

Ruth is teething her last two eye teeth so I need to encourage her to drink her milk since she is not eating well this week.

2 comments:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

Natalie, they are beautiful names, and whether it is a boy or a girl, they will be so blessed to be named after such wonderful people. I have been meaning to tell you, though...in regards to having a boy: I never really knew what to expect with a boy since I only have a sister and all of our family is girls. I know that you only have sisters. But somehow I always knew that I would have a son first. I didn't know how it would be, since I've dealt soooo much with little girls (teaching dance, etc.) But I have to tell you, having a son is amazing. Although I love little girl things, I have come to be so surprised by how much I adore my little boy. There's just something about a mother/son connection that is inexplicable and sweet. He is my "huggy bear." He is so affectionate and an absolute mama's boy...and even though he's got that rough and tumble boyness about him...he's also got a sweet sensitive side, and I know that we'll always have an amazing bond. It's the same way with daddies and daughters. (And that's not to say that I don't have a special bond with Emma...it's just different. We all relate to each of our children in unique and wonderful ways.) It's just special. IF you have a boy, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;-)

Tonia said...

I love Priscilla and Grayson! Fabulous choices. How much longer until you find out?