Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bedtime for Ruth

Since returning home, we have let Ruth stay up a little later trying to ease her back to her normal bedtime. In Arkansas I let her stay up later, and since it was an hour earlier, that was really late when you thought of it in eastern standard time. Tonight she had a little bit of trouble going to sleep so I sat in the floor next to her crib for awhile. She relaxed and put her hand out to touch me. For ten nights we shared slept in the same bed. I would get so mad at her when she wanted to play instead of go to sleep. But in the morning I was awakened each day with a little voice saying "hi" and a small wave. In the night I was kicked in the back and head butted and everything else. I think Ruth misses sleeping with me and that is why she has trouble going to sleep. The truth be told, I kinda miss sleeping with her too.

Tomorrow is the big reveal of the gender of our baby - if the baby cooperates. Ruth almost didn't when it was her turn. For those of you that have met Ruth, you are probably not surprised by this fact. Ruth is very much a "I do what I want" girl. And today she has wanted to have fun. And we have.

I was so afraid that I would be spanking her left and right when we returned but Ruth has been very agreeable and playful and even, hold your breath, mindful. She was quite the charmer for our friends Kathy and Amanda Stone who dropped by to say hello and give us the most beautiful butterfly lawn ornament. Thank you, Stones.

We called my mom today to say hi since Ruth was asking for her. I could hear the sadness in her voice. After having Ruth with her for eleven days, I am sure the house is empty. Ruth really loved her time there playing with the kitty and Tippy (the dog - by the way, these animals are outside animals and very dirty) and mooing at the cows and twitting with the birds. She enjoyed swimming in the kiddie pool naked and basically getting her way. And I am glad she did.

I was so ready to come home and be in my house with my husband. We had a good visit but by Friday I was tired. I so wish our families lived close enough so they could visit for the afternoon and Ruth could go stay the night with them. But wishing for things that will never happen will only bring sadness.

This is a long post but I have to comment on finding out the gender. If we have a girl I will have two little girls. They can share clothes and wear hand-me-downs. I know what to do with a girl and you don't get "wet" when changing a diaper. But if I have a boy he will get blue toile pillows. Raising a boy scares me. So many people say that boys are mamma's boys. But that term to me means he is a pansy and weak. (No, I don't think all these mothers have weak, pansy sons.) But if I have a son who turns out to be a strong, sensitive, caring man like Brian, then I will be proud to say that I raised that man. If only I can do that.

Thanks for reading this sappy post. It must be the extra tiredness from traveling and the heat getting to me.

2 comments:

Alec & Emma Davis said...

God knows exactly what you need, in the way of a second child...and it will be marvelous either way! Hurry up and tell us!!!!!!!!!

Alec & Emma Davis said...

oh, and speaking of bedtime sentimentality...the other night i had the deepest urge to go in and get the babies (they were already asleep) and take them to bed with us just to cuddle. they're such "big kids" now, they don't sit with us, or cuddle for very long...too busy and too much to explore! i miss that babyness!